Halitosis, also known as bad breath is a common dental concern among patients. Dr. Quynh-Chi Nguyen is a family and cosmetic dentist in Northern Virginia, dedication to providing exceptional dental care. At Paradise Smile of Chantilly, we take the needs of our patients seriously and work with them to give them the answers they need. One of the most common dental concerns is patients suffering from bad breath. We have compiled a list of causes for bad breath and what to do to help improve your oral health.
Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath can be caused by a number of different factors. One of the most common factors is an improper oral hygiene routine. Developing a proper oral hygiene routine is part of maintaining optimal oral health. If you are unaware of how to develop a proper oral hygiene routine, feel free to ask general dentist Dr. Nguyen about any questions you may have regarding your oral health.
- Smoking or the use of products containing tobacco can cause dry mouth. Dry mouth can lead to bad breath. People who smoke are more likely to develop gum disease and oral cancer.
- Dry mouth means that the necessary amount of saliva isn’t being produced. Dry mouth usually occurs in the morning which causes morning breath. If you notice that you have reoccurring problems with dry mouth, please feel free to contact Dr. Nguyen. Chantilly dentist Dr. Nguyen can properly examine your mouth for any complex dental issues.
- Check your medication. Certain kinds of medication can cause dry mouth.
Treatments for Bad Breath
Following these steps can help combat bad breath and help restore the health of your teeth.
- Visit Dr. Nguyen at Paradise Smiles of Chantilly at least twice a year for routine preventive care visit.
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day.
- Avoid sugary drink and foods that can lead to tooth decay and bad breath.
- Drink the recommended amount of water to help keep your body and mouth hydrated.
- Avoid smelly foods, unless you brush and floss afterward to stop bad breath.
- Make sure you brush your tongue during your normal oral hygiene routine. the tongue can hold bacteria that cause bad breath.
Schedule An Appointment
Dr. Nguye an experienced dentist serving the Northern Virginia area. Dr. Nguyen is a family and cosmetic dentist committed to helping you improve your smile. Feel free to schedule an appointment online or call 703.483.9823